Christmas 2014

Christmas 2014

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Tough Weekend

The past 24 hours have been especially tough for the Wheeler house. I got home from school today and Jay was on the phone with Zeke's trainer, Steven. Zeke is our lab puppy that we bought with hopes of him being a wonderful hunting dog. Steven said that he had noticed Zeke limping last week and it had worsened this week. The owner of the kennel took him to the vet and he has severe hip displasia. This was such a shock to us because we used a breeder that has an excellent reputation and who rarely has any health issues with their dogs. Zeke's dad was a newer sire and as time has gone on, he has thrown a few pups that have had hip trouble, but none as bad as Zeke.
They told us that they were going to be pulling him from the training program immediately and that we could pick him up. At this point, they think our options are to replace the hip, try natural remedies, or have him put to sleep. We are just crushed because we have grown so attached to him and had such high hopes for him. I cried last night until my eyes were almost swollen shut.
We made the drive to Oxford today to pick him up and had a long stay at the kennel talking with the trainier and the owner. I must say that they were wonderful and did everything possible to make sure that we felt comfortable taking him home. They had taken an x-ray at the vet and it is just pitiful. We are going to try to go to the vet on Monday and see what they think his quality of life will be. We just have some tough decisions to make, and are trying to enjoy him while we can. Right now, I'm on my couch watching him sleep on his 'place.' He looks so peaceful and I wonder if he knows how hard of a road he has ahead of him. He is only 8 months old, so it is so sad that he is already having so many issues. I also feel so bad for Jay, because he was so excited about having a dog to hunt with.

As if this wasn't enough, my Nana is very sick and in the hospital. She has severe breathing problems and has been in the hospital before, but this time was quite worse. My dad sent me a text message Friday telling me he was taking her to the emergency room. She was having so much trouble breathing that she could barely even go to the bathroom. Today, the Dr. told us that she would be unable to be alone as she doesn't have the strength to take care of herself. My aunt wants to take her home with her, but she isn't in the best health herself. I'm afraid that she is going to end up in a nursing home. The Dr. said that she is pumped full of anitbiotics right now and that, eventually, she will be back in the hospital. He feels like that when she comes back, it will be so bad that she will have to be put on a ventilator. Her Dr. is meeting with my dad and my aunts this week, and I think that it is safe to say that it is only going to get worse.

I just ask you all pray for Jay, myself, and the rest of my family as we feel certain that we have a tough road ahead. I know that the Lord does not give us more than we can take, so he must think that I am very strong. I guess he has much more faith about my ability to make it through than I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment