Christmas 2014

Christmas 2014

Friday, July 8, 2011

Foodie Fridays- A Day with Mamaw

Hi Everyone!

A couple of weeks ago, I spent the afternoon with my mom's mom (my Mamaw). We talked about lots of things, but then we got into the recipes! When I left I had the most sentimental thing that she has ever given me.......


This book is full of recipes that she copied down herself. She couldn't remember how old it is, but I am almost 28 and I have never seen it. She, basically, bought a notebook and put dividers in for all of the different categories of recipes.



Then she wrote recipes by hand in the book or pasted them onto the page. This is a meringue recipe. For some reason, this picture would not download in the right orientation, but since it was her handwriting I wanted to include it anyway.
You're turning your head sideways right now, aren't you??


There's also TONS of recipes that she has clipped out of magazines and stuck in the proper section.


She also gave me this really old book titled The Art of Cooking and Serving. It is really neat because it talks about all sorts of very proper serving techniques. I looked for a copyright date in it, but the front pages of the book are missing.


Below is an example of how you should dress your maids based on what type of affair that you were having. I figured that we all had been wondering how to dress our maids, so I just thought I'd share that with you-haha!

Finally, I hit the jackpot.........I got the recipe for her chicken and dumplings!!! I also got her divinity, fudge, dressing, jiblet gravy, and the recipe I'm going to give you today-plum cobbler.


This plumb cobbler is something that I grew up eating at my Mamaw and Grandad's house. I can remember stopping by after I had gotten out of school for the day and she would have a big pot, yes pot, of it all ready for me. The recipe is super easy, so I wanted to share it with you.

In case you can't read my writing, I'll type it up for you (lefties write MESSY).
-Take 1 and 1/2 rolled up, frozen pie crusts and cut into strips after they has been thawed & layed flat.
-Put 1quart of fresh or frozen plums into a pan or heavy pot with 2 c. water.
-Add 1 and 1/2 c. sugar and bring to a boil.
-Drop strips of pie crust into the pot and boil 15 minutes with the pot covered.
-Add butter if desired

I had thought about putting cinnamon or nutmeg into the recipe, but like the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!"

This was such a fun day, because I got to spend time with my Mamaw and learn more about something that we both have enjoyed doing during our lives. I will treasure the cookbook because it is something that she created and the other book because it is something that personifies who she is as a person-classy with good taste.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment