Christmas 2014

Christmas 2014

Friday, June 17, 2011

Foodie Friday!

If you know much about me, you know that I love to cook! Even more than cooking, I like to bake! The guys at Nucor know this also, because I bake so much that we can't (and shouldn't) eat it all so it goes to Blytheville to the mill. I also give food to anyone sitting still long enough to eat it including my personal trainer, but I was told that that was 'just wrong.' Jay has decided that any time I get stressed or bored I bake, so that's about 80% of my time-haha!

When Jay and I got married, I had no clue how to cook anything! When you grow up living with just your mom, it doesn't really make sense to cook a lot because you would never be able to eat it all and it would go to waste, sooooo I never really learned how. Jay, on the otherhand, is a FABULOUS cook and can just throw things together to make a wonderful meal. Being one that doesn't like to be outdone, I decided that I had to learn to cook. I worked really hard one summer and tried lots of new things, and I finally got the hang of it.

Baking is my favorite thing. I think that, many times, baking a cake is associated with a special occasion or is a way to make people especially happy, so that's what appeals to me. In 2009, I decided to enter my brownies in the Delta Fair and I got a blue ribbon! Well, it was all done after that and I had the bug. The next year, I entered two cakes and my brownies again and look what happened!

That's right, folks, best of show! My hummingbird cake took top honors, and I also got two other blue ribbons: one for my apple cake and I don't remember what else I entered, but it must have been good-haha! My brownies got a dissapointing third place, but I bought some baking chocolate that was older than I wanted, so I wasn't surprised. Even though these cakes take hours to make, some of my favorite recipies are really simple (i.e.-box of cake mix and canned frosting). Due to my LOVE of food, I thought I would devote Friday's to just that, so 'Foodie Friday' was born. I'm going to try to put up some of my favorite recipies that are not only quick and easy, but also really good!

I should exted a disclaimer with this first recipie: it is ADDICTIVE!!! I was given this recipie by Laurie Vaughn, a friend that works at Kennett High School and goes to church with me. After she brought these treats to a youth function at our church, I harrassed her children, Logan and Landon, at KMS until I felt like I had all of the details. I am a big eyeballer when it comes to baking, so I pulled the following recipie from the internet since it had exact oven temps and times.  


    Festive Pretzel Rings

    1. Heat the oven to 170F. Set a number of bite-size, waffle-shaped pretzels (one for each treat) in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, then top each pretzel with an unwrapped Hershey's Kiss or Hershey's Hug.
    2. Bake for 4 to 6 minutes (the white chocolate will melt more quickly), until the chocolates feel soft when touched with a wooden spoon. Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and quickly press an M&M's candy into the center of each Kiss.
    3. Allow the treats to cool for a few minutes, then place them in the refrigerator to set, about 10 minutes. Place handfuls of the candies in clear plastic bags and tie on colorful ribbons.

    Recipe courtesy of familyfun.go.com

    Now, as you'll notice, I changed the type of pretzel, but any type that is small enough to hold the melted kiss will do. Also, you can use Hugs or Kisses depending on what you want, and around Christmas you can use red and green M&M's to make it look festive. Lastly, don't forget the parchment paper. I didn't use it for one batch and boy did I end up with a mess!!! I hope you have fun making this easy recipie and even more fun eating it!

    Have a great weekend!!!!!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment